To ensure that sins like these don't occur, there was this last minute panic shopping that i indulged, in the proverbial eleventh hour. Not much was accomplished but atleast there was no visible space left behind.
It occured to me, that there are cardinal rules for shopping & here were a few at the top of my head:
- Never leave the shores of India without a trip to Wal-Mart, Circuit City (or equivalent)
- Never leave chocolate shopping to the last days, they will usually run out of stock of your favorite brand
- Never (please, i beg of you) buy more than one large bag of Hershey's Kisses. When i have friends/family bring them in, i feel 'cheap' about this large quantity/low quality product
- Never leave Frankfurt without picking up some chocolates. Expensive, yes -but good ones. I would recommend White Chocs be picked in Frankfurt
- Never leave toys & electronics items in their packages, they occupy a lot of space
- Never have less than 2 large suitcases
- Never have a hand luggage weighing more than 4 Kgs. Also, a thumbrule - If you have a coat/jerkin, it should fit into the hand luggage
There might be many others that long term stayers will come up with, but i devotionally follow all the above. For the last few trips, i believe in travelling light & travelling pleasantly.